Issued in 2003
IS: 17-1/8 x 27 ins. PS: 19-1/8 x 29 ins.
Edition: 1,000 and 25 artist's proofs
Through the efforts of the Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft, the Naval School was established without Congressional funding at a 10-acre Army post named Ft. Severn in Annapolis, Maryland, on October 10, 1845. Originally there were 50 midshipmen and 7 professors. The Naval School became the United States Naval Academy in 1850. In 1906, the first and second wings of Bancroft Hall were completed.