Boiling Springs Remembered
Issued in 2009
Giclee on paper
IS: 8-5/8 x 20-15/16 ins.
Edition: 250 and 25 artist's proofs
P. Buckley Moss giclées are printed using the very latest form of high-tech, high quality art reproduction. We use the finest of substrates (premium acid free canvases and papers with a deckled edge) using archival, pigmented inks for long lasting works of art. Rich in texture and color, each reproduction has the look and feel of a highly prized original.
Boiling Springs Remembered features the historic village of Boiling Springs near Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Boiling Springs started as a settlement around the Carlisle Iron Works, which built a blast furnace there around 1760. Among other things, the iron works produced munitions and ammunition during the Revolutionary War. The seven-acre, man-made lake dates to the 1750's when it was dammed to power the iron works. It is fed by some 30 natural springs which bubble to the surface from subterranean caves estimated to be 1,800 feet below the surface. The water appears to be boiling, and that's where the village gets its name. Boiling Springs was also a stop on the Underground Railroad for escaping slaves from the South. Featured in the painting are the Little Stone House, the Ege-Bucher Mansion, The Clocktower and Boiling Springs Tavern, and a gazebo overlooking the lake.