Old St. Mary's
Issued in 2000
IS: 10-1/4 x 20-7/8 ins. PS: 12-1/4 x 22-7/8 ins.
Edition: 1,000 and 25 artist's proofs
Old St. Mary's was built in Fairfax County, Virginia, in 1858 by immigrant Irish railroad workers. It was the first Catholic church in the county. During the Civil War, the church served as a shelter for the Union soldiers wounded in the Second Battle of Manassas and other military engagements. Clara H. Barton ministered to the soldiers here in 1862 and developed her plans to organize a civilian society devoted to care for the wounded-The American Red Cross.