Issued in 1998
IS: 12-7/8 x 8-11/16 ins. PS: 14-7/8 x 10-11/16 ins.
Edition: 1,000 and 25 artist's proofs
The regular edition of this print is sold out and no longer available on this shopping site.
St. Simons, Georgia's largest and perhaps most historically interesting "Golden Isles" is home to St. Simon's Lighthouse. The original lighthouse, completed in 1811, was destroyed in 1862 to prevent its use by the Federal blockading squadron when the Confederate troops were withdrawn from the island. In 1872, a 106-foot, dazzling white replacement tower was erected a short distance to the north of the original site. Today, the lighthouse remains in active use, throwing a 500,000 candle power beam of light visible 18 miles at sea on a clear night.