New Point Visitors
Issued in 1999
IS: 7 x 9-1/2 ins. PS: 10-1/2 x 13 ins.
Edition 1,000 and 25 artist's proofs
The regular edition of this print is sold out and no longer available on this shopping site.
The New Point Comfort Lighthouse stands at the southeastern end of Mathews County, Virginia, on a small island in the Chesapeake Bay. Construction for the eight-sided structure occurred between 1801-1804. Electricity powered the light for the first time in 1950. From 1954-1976 the Coast Guard was directly responsible for the structure. In April 1976, the county acquired the property from the federal government, and ongoing restoration efforts have been made by local organizations and volunteers. New Point Comfort Lighthouse is also featured in the Moss print Guiding Light.