Issued in 2002
IS: 5-3/8 x 10-1/2 ins. PS: 7-3/8 x 12-1/2 ins.
Edition: 1,000 and 25 artist's proofs
Mt. Pleasant is a Federal-style, Shenandoah Valley limestone farmhouse located on Rt. 732 near the village of Springhill in Augusta Co., Va. The house was built circa 1780-1810 and was owned in the late 18th century by Col. George Moffett, a local prominent citizen and a Revolutionary War hero. According to local tradition and a plaque erected by the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, members of the Virginia General Assembly took refuge in the house in June, 1781, when they fled from British Col. B. Tarleton who was pursuing them from Richmond. The property is on the National Register of Historic Places and is currently owned by David and Joan Berenson.