Wade's Mill, Raphine, VA
Issued in 2004
IS: 7 x 9-1/4 ins. PS: 10-1/2 x 10-3/4 ins.
Edition: 1,000 and 25 artist's proofs
Located in northern Rockbridge County, is a working flour mill, circa1750, built by Captain Joseph Kennedy. The Kennedy family owned the mill for about 100 years. In 1882, James F. Wade bought the mill and his family operated the mill for the next four generations. The interior and workings of the mill are much like they were when Mr. Wade bought the mill. The mill is powered by a 21-foot water wheel that is fed by a nearby stream (known originally as Captain Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek). Wade's Mill is one of the few remaining mills that still produces a wide variety of flours exclusively on mill stones. The mill is on the National Register of Historic Places.