Issued in 1999
IS: 8-15/16 x 7-3/4 ins. PS: 10-15/16 x 9-3/4 ins.
Edition: 1,000 and 25 artis's proofs
This print is no longer available from P. Buckley Moss Galleries on this shopping site.
It might still be available at your local P. Buckley Moss gallery.
Issued at $75.
Estimated current value has not been established.
Old Cape Henry Lighthouse and New Cape Henry Lighthouse are both located in Virginia Beach at the southern entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. In 1791, Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury, contracted renowned lighthouse builder John McComb, Jr., to construct the first lighthouse commissioned by Congress. He used local stone to build a 90-foot classic octagonal tower. After repairs in 1863, the light continued in operation until large cracks appeared in the walls, then Congress authorized a new lighthouse to be built. The new 163-foot tower stands 350 feet away from Old Cape Henry. It is a pyramidal tower of cast-iron plates painted alternately black and white. Both stand within Fort Story, and a local preservation society has refurbished the old tower.